What is required to obtain a Virginia Real Estate Salesperson’s License?
Virginia Salesperson candidates must successfully complete one of our 60 credit hours state-approved real estate education course (or an equivalent).
Additionally, to qualify for licensure, each candidate must:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Pass the Virginia state licensing examination administered by PSI Exams
- Have earned a high school diploma or certificate of equivalency
- Initial licensure applicants are required to submit a set of fingerprints that were completed no more than 45 days prior to the Virginia Central Criminal Records Exchange for the purpose of conducting a search of the state and national fingerprint-based criminal history records.
- Affiliate with a licensed Virginia Broker within 1 year of passing the PSI examination
- Within one year of obtaining a new salespersons license, complete a 30 hour Post License Education Virginia approved program of study through Elite School of Real Estate (or equivalent).
What is a REALTOR®?
- The term REALTOR® is a registered collective membership mark that identifies a real estate professional who is a member of the NATIONAL ASSOCIATION of REALTORS® and subscribes to its strict Code of Ethics.
Who Issues Real Estate Licenses in Virginia?
- The Real Estate Board, which is under The Virginia Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation
- The Real Estate Board licenses Salespersons, brokers, and firms representing others in property transactions
- The Board also enforces Fair Housing Law in cases involving real estate licensees and their employees
What is required obtain a Real Estate Broker’s License in Virginia?
- Experience - Must have been actively engaged as a real estate licensee for at least 40 hours per week during 36 of the 48 months preceding the date of application
- Education - Successful completion of a total of 180 classroom hours of Elite School of Real Estate (or equivalent) Board-approved courses is required
- Examination - Pass the Virginia Real Estate Board Broker examination through PSI Exams
- Application - Submit to the Virginia Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation (DPOR) a completed Brokers License Application & Experience Verification Form(s)
Can I be a successful Real Estate Agent if I already have a full time job?
- The short answer is YES you can
- The more detailed answer is yes you can but the challenge will likely be greater
How much money can I make as a Real Estate Agent?
- Unlike many other careers, there is no cap on your potential income as a real estate Salesperson
- Simply stated, it depends on a person’s goals and how determined that they are to reach them
- We can help you acquire the skills that are necessary for success
- You have to contribute the actions and the mind-set
How much does it cost to become a REALTOR® in Northern Virginia?
- Education $250 - $350
- State Licensing Examinations $60
- State Licensing Application Fee $170
- National, State & Local Association Membership $400 - $900
- Lockbox Key Service $10
- Multiple Listing Service setup and subscription $295
- Errors & Omission Insurance – Varies by Brokerage Firm
- Affiliation Charges – Varies by Brokerage Firm